Are you tired of staring at that stupid, soulless, bearer of bad news bathroom scale every morning? The one that you often say “I hate you” to as if it might hear you and give a damn. Why hasn’t anyone made a scale that is actually fun to use? It is time to create a scale that is not only smart but has a bit more personality to brighten your day. We are going to build our very own hackable, weight tracking, text messaging bathroom scale that comes with a built-in sense of humor.
This is a fun, easy project that combines a Wii balance board, a Raspberry Pi, and an online data analytics platform (https://www.initialstate.com) to create a web-connected scale controlled by a Python script you can hack.
Project level: Beginner
Approximate time to complete: 20 minutes
Fun factor: Immeasurable … seriously, this is really fun
In this step-by-step tutorial, you will:
- connect a Wii balance board to a Raspberry Pi through bluetooth
- run a Python script that measures your weight when you step on the balance board
- use a Raspberry Pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org) to stream your weight to a cloud service (https://www.initialstate.com)
- setup a SMS notification every time you weigh yourself
- build a weight-tracking dashboard you can access in your web browser
This tutorial is part of the series, “Learning How to Build Real IoT Applications” >>