Lots of cool boards for makers and developers have been coming out, and the C.H.I.P. is one that boasts both built-in WiFi and Bluetooth. What really makes the C.H.I.P. standout, however, is that it only costs $9.
You read that right.
So, this WiFi-based presence detector will only cost you $9 because there’s no extra hardware. It’ll take you hardly any time at all, and you’ll suddenly have a base for triggering all sorts of things when someone is detected.
----------------------- Project level: Beginner Approximate time to complete:
An hour or less
Cost: Less than what you paid for lunch (ok, maybe not for you but it's close)
In this step-by-step tutorial, you will:
- connect to the C.H.I.P. for the first time
- setup the C.H.I.P. without a monitor or keyboard/mouse
- setup the C.H.I.P. to scan for devices on a WiFi network and use that to determine who is “home”
- stream collected data to a web service you can access from anywhere
- setup a “service” to run your script every time the C.H.I.P. boots up
This tutorial is part of the series, “Learning How to Build Real IoT Applications” >>